Transcribing letters

Hey Jackson, what’s the style for transcribing when the MP declares something through a letter? Transcribe everything including the address to sender? Or just the ‘thing’…

Hi Andrea!

The idea is just to disclose the relevant ‘thing’, but to copy exactly the sentence or parts of sentence/sentences that include all the relevant information (who, what, when, etc).

Often it will be hard to do this when there a multiple entries that share sentences or paragraphs. If any of the who/what/when/etc is left out of a single entry when you’ve copied as much as you can, feel free to add the who/what/when/etc in brackets at the end of the entry.

thank you :smile:

On the topic of letters – I’m transcribing my third page ever and the letter reads:

"The Strategic Leadership Dialogue sponsored my travel to Israel and the United States of America from 6 – 13 July 2018. The Dialogue also met the cost of my accommodation while in Israel.

On the flight returning to Australia I received an upgrade from Qantas Airways."

The first part is fine, I’ve just transcribed it exactly, however the Qantas upgrade would be a separate entry, but how do I enter it given the lack of detail? I don’t even know the origin of the flight, whether it was Israel or USA unless I start googling his trip. And if I entered it as written it lacks the context given by the preceding paragraph.
How would I best enter this?

Good question re detail lacking - @Jacksongs, what if there are sparse details?

Hi folks!

I would do two entries here:

Addition, self, travel
The Strategic Leadership Dialogue sponsored my travel to Israel and the United States of America from 6 – 13 July 2018. The Dialogue also met the cost of my accommodation while in Israel.

Addition, self, travel
On the flight returning to Australia I received an upgrade from Qantas Airways.

Although there isn’t that much detail in the flight disclosure, a search will still pick up the key term “Qantas”. The disclosures are often inconsistent and lacking in detail, but we can only input what is given to us. Another reason they should move to a digital input system with more specific prompts.

Thanks for that.